A. Requirements For For-Hire Vehicle Operation:
1. Business License Required: No person shall operate or permit a for hire vehicle owned or controlled by such person to be operated as a vehicle for hire without first having obtained a for hire vehicle business license from the city in accordance with this article.
2. Documents With Driver: All for hire vehicles shall have in the driver’s possession a copy of the current vehicle registration, copy of the business license, proof of insurance as required in this article and the driver shall have a “Z” or “P” endorsement on their Utah state driver’s license. Failure to produce any of this information may result in the issuance of a citation and suspension or revocation of the business license.
3. Terms Defined: For the purpose of this section, the term “operate” or “operated” for hire shall not include the transporting, by a for hire vehicle properly licensed in a jurisdiction outside the corporate limits of the city, of a passenger or passengers for hire where a trip shall originate with the passenger or passengers being picked up outside the corporate limits of the city and where the destination is either within or beyond the city corporate limits. The term “operate” or “operated” means and shall include the soliciting or picking up of a passenger or passengers within the corporate limits of the city, whether the destination is within or outside of the corporate limits of the city.
4. Office Space: All office space of a for hire company in the city of St. George must comply with this code.
5. Additional Passengers: Whenever a for hire vehicle driver is transporting a passenger or passengers, such passenger or passengers shall have the exclusive right to full and free use of the passenger compartment, and it shall be unlawful for the for hire vehicle driver to solicit or carry an additional passenger or passengers therein, except with the consent of the passenger or passengers then being transported.
B. Conduct Of For Hire Vehicle Driver: It shall be unlawful for a for hire vehicle driver, while engaged in operating a for hire vehicle, to obstruct any street or sidewalk; or to interfere with, obstruct or impede the free passage of passengers or other persons; or to seize or grasp, or interfere with any person or package carried by or belonging to passengers or persons.
C. For Hire Vehicle Must Take Direct Route: Any driver employed to carry passengers to a definite point shall take the most direct route possible that will carry the passenger safely and expeditiously to his or her destination.
D. Fraud Prohibited: It shall be unlawful for the driver of any for hire vehicle to induce or attempt to induce any person to employ him or her by knowingly or wantonly misinforming or misleading such person as to the time or place of the arrival or departure of any airplane, bus or other conveyance, or the location of any airport, office, station or ticket office, or the location of any hotel, public place or private residence within the city, or to practice any deceit, fraud or misrepresentation in any manner whatever relative to matters pertaining to his or her business.
E. Duty To Transport Passengers: It shall be unlawful for any for hire vehicle driver while engaged in operating a for hire vehicle, except as permitted herein, to refuse to convey any person for any lawful purpose, with or without baggage, upon demand and tender of the lawful fare, or having undertaken to convey such person and thereafter willfully to refuse or neglect so to do; provided, that there shall be no duty hereunder for any for hire vehicle driver to transport any person who is acting in a loud, boisterous or unruly manner.
F. Disclosing Information Required: It shall be unlawful for the owner of any particular for hire vehicle service, upon being requested so to do by a passenger or law enforcement officer, to refuse to give the for hire vehicle services business license number, or for any for hire vehicle driver, upon being requested so to do by a passenger or law enforcement officer, to refuse to give the for hire vehicle driver’s permit information and the name of the for hire vehicle driver.
G. Record Of Business: Every person engaged in driving a for hire vehicle shall keep a true and exact record of every trip made. The record shall show the exact time of departure from the place of deployment, the place where every stop was made and the exact time when the employment terminated, and the place where the passenger, or if more than one, where each passenger was discharged, which record shall at all times be open to the inspection of any law enforcement officer upon demand. (Ord. 2016-07-002, 2016.)